RGD to RGD
“I'm getting closer myself to becoming a creative director…and would really relish the opportunity to learn from someone who has 'been there, done that'.”
“I've been in the industry for 19 years, and I'm an art director for a marketing department in an investment company. Often times I wish I could turn to someone for advice or another opinion.”
A new initiative of RGD’s Mentorship Program is calling all RGDs interested in participating in a program exclusively for them. Currently, RGD facilitates a mentorship program for Provisional RGD/final year Student Member protégés and R.G.D./Provisional RGD mentors (see below). This new initiative would allow RGDs to mentor each other, accessing the varying ranges and levels of experience of their Association colleagues. Participation in the program would typically last six months, with 4-6 one-hour meetings, virtual or in-person.
For Provisionals & Students
This program matches protégés (final year Student Members or Provisional RGDs) with mentors (Provisional RGDs or RGDs) to help protégés develop the necessary skills to enter or continue on a professional career path in graphic design.
Protégés receive encouragement, guidance and support from a professional active in the industry who has been specifically selected based on the protégé’s needs and goals. Mentors have volunteered their time to offer expert feedback on portfolios, résumés, etc.; advice on further training and job hunting techniques; and information on ethical and professional practices.
How it works
For a period of 6 months, protégés meet with their mentors for 4 to 6 hour-long meetings to help the protégés develop the necessary skills to enter into or continue on a professional career path in graphic design. The program is ongoing and we will do our best to match mentors and protégés as requests are received.
You are eligible to participate in RGD's Mentorship Program if you are:
- A Registered Graphic Designer; and
- Working somewhere in Ontario;
- Willing to mentor a recent graduate of a 3 or 4 year graphic design program;
- Connected to the Internet and e-mail;
- Available to participate for a minimum of 6 months.
Mentors do the following:
- Offer expert feedback on portfolios, résumés, etc.
- Enhance self-esteem, self-confidence, and maturity of protégés.
- Provide information on further training and job hunting techniques.
- Encourage ethical and professional practice.
If you would like to participate in this program as a mentor, read over the Mentor Guidelines.
You are eligible to participate in RGD's Mentorship Program if:
- You are a Provisional RGD in good standing.
- You are a Student Member of RGD Ontario in the final year of a 3 or 4 year graphic design program
- You are available to participate in the program for a minimum of 6 months.
- You have access to the Internet and e-mail.
For more information, read over the Protégé Guidelines.
Please send completed forms to the Association at 96 Spadina Ave, Suite 210, Toronto ON M5V 2J6 or fax to 416.367.9150.